John, this is a common question of a vastly misunderstood issue. And
while I do not purport to be an expert on HIPAA, I have encountered the
question many times.

There is no such thing as being HIPAA compliant from a hardware
standpoint. Rather, HIPAA addresses how information is handled as it
passes along the information chain which included all types of network
media and hardware as well as physical handling (e.g. paper patient
records being physically transported). In other words, I am not familiar
with the existence of any mechanism that certifies or otherwise
documents hardware as being HIPAA compliant. It is the organizational
process itself which must be certified as being compliant. Here is more
info:

http://www.hipaadvisory.com/action/Compliance/compliant.htm

Patrick Leary
AVP WISP Markets