----- Original Message -----
From: "Marlon K. Schafer (509) 982-2181" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "WISPA General List" <wireless@wispa.org>
Sent: Friday, December 08, 2006 9:22 PM
Subject: Re: [WISPA] using diversity outdoors

> First, if you think it's multipath try moving the antenna.  I've had some
as
> low as 2' above the ground to get the best signal and speeds possible.
I've
> had a couple, maybe even a few, where moving 2 to 3 feet up or down (often
> down) seems to do the trick.

We tried moving the antenna.   It didn't have much effect.   We tried up and
down and even a little side to side...  didn't mean much.

I HAVE had moving the antenna just a foot upwards change an unworkable link
to a rock solid stable one.   Seemed it was a roof reflection, with the
antenna at the peak of the roof.

> As for running diversity, it'll be a trial and error thing.  Two things
seem
> to happen with multipath.  You could be getting a signal out of phase or
> polarity shifted.  Or both.

Well, that much I assumed.

> If you try it you'll want the antennas 3 to 10 feet vertically separated.
> You'll have to try and see if the same or cross polarity is the key for
your
> customer.

What about horizontally?   All our sites are hpol.

> I've found that multipath seems to be really really rare in the wild.
> Usually it's something else.

Well, viewed from the customer end, we're going over one house, between two,
and just over a well-travelled road.

While most customers are generally rock-steady with signal moving perhaps a
db or two now and then, this one's about 10 db weaker than it should be and
fluctuates constantly 2-4 db.

It was improved by moving the antenna upwards 18 inches, but it's still not
stable, and more vertical height is probably not in the cards.