From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Jon Langeler
Sent: Wednesday, December 27, 2006 5:54 AM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Alvarion Comnet Radios have arrived

Let's use 900MHz as an example. We deployed Alvarion 900 on multiple
sites for over a year and it was a less than enjoyable experience. We
started by transitioning one site from Alvarion 900 to Canopy 900 and
things started working much better.
I may use licensed operations as an example only because I've had the
experience of being on both sides of the fence. Also we buy GPS sync
units as low as $300 new from a 3rd party vendor, as do many canopy
operators.
As for the excess bandwidth availability in the UL bands, that's
definately not the case here...

Jon Langeler
Michwave Tech.

Patrick Leary wrote:

>Jon,
>
>When discussing GPS, you continue to offer examples from the licensed
>world, which is about as relevant as trying to do an apples to apples
>comparisons of mobile licensed cellular service plans with UL fixed
>wireless. As I have said before (last week), licensed uses GPS due to
>the necessity of having to re-use a small amount of channel over and
>over again, cell after cell. That's not the case in the UL world,
except
>perhaps for Canopy whose bandwidth availability is so low relative to
>the channel.
>
>Jon, you, me, the fence post and everyone else knows why Canopy --
alone
>in the entire UL 5GHz world -- requires GPS to scale, it's to keep from
>stepping all over itself. It is not even a debatable point. The
>recommendation is right there in Canopy white papers -- let me
>paraphrase: "Deploying Canopy? What to scale? Buy this $1,500 cluster
>management module for each cell! (P.S. Don't forget the $125 power
>supply.)"
>
>Seriously, saying Canopy's GPS (something you have to pay extra for
>even) is a value-added feature is like saying my car is special because
>it has tires. I have to hand it to Motorola though, they have convinced
>you that the one thing no other brand needs in UL, is something you
have
>the privilege of paying extra for just to get your brand to work well
in
>even modest scale in the first place.
>
>Patrick Leary
>AVP WISP Markets