From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Carl A jeptha
Sent: Thursday, December 28, 2006 2:17 PM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Jon, okay, I'm no engineer. But what about the
BUSINESS?

So am I correct in assuming that being held ransom by a manufacturer is
the right business model.
Or
If I buy Alvarion now and they go belly-up, I can just switch to Trango
and when they go Belly-up I can go to Motorola and so on and so on.

Or am I missing the POINT TOTALLY. I should not use an internationally
recognized standard, I should use Proprietary equipment.
<RANT>
I spent two years of my life with WAVERIDER, where the [EMAIL PROTECTED]&^ing
he!!
are they now????????
I spent two years of my life with CIRRONET, where are they now????????
</RANT>
Tell me again it is a sound business model to be held Hostage by one
manufacturer????????
If the international standard is wrong, why can't we get the
manufacturers to come up with a common standard???????
Or is it that when held hostage they don't have to supply proper
customer service????
Or is it their business plan to capture the market and after gaining the

monopoly, then what?????

ALL I WANT IS TO BE ABLE TO CALL A SPADE A SPADE. IF I HAVE TWENTY
DIFFERENT RADIOS ON "MY" NETWORK AND THEY ALL TALK TOGETHER, TIME WILL
TELL ME WHICH ONE IS THE BETTER ONE.

It does not take an engineer to figure out that one, and once I have
been bitten by a bad product it will me a long time to go back to it.

------------
You have a good day now,en mag jou more's ook so wees.

Carl A Jeptha
http://www.jeptha.com
905-349-2027
skype cajeptha

Tom DeReggi wrote:
> Marty,
>
> And I probably should be selling, not debating :-(
>
> But, I can't agree more with your post.
>
> Except....
>
>> When was the
>> last time a Trango EMPLOYEE asked for your feedback?
>
> Trango is one of the best manufacturers out there, from the
> perspective of asking their customers, what they want and need, and
> responding with change.
> They've even reimbursed WISPs for travel expenses to come offer their
> advice on how they can improve their product.
> Trango shines in that area, and their success at keeping in touch with

> their buyers, is a large part of their success to date, and I have
> nothing but respect for Trango's efforts in that area.
> Credit should be given where credit is due.
>
> Trango's current limitation, is they don't have a greater than 10mbps
> PtMP product.  But it wasn't really ever needed until recently, nor
> ever really asked for, because it wasn't needed.  Alvarion was the one

> that took 5 years to reduce their price, something we ALL always asked

> for from day one. Don't get me wrong, I wish Trango would replace the
> dish with a good solid panel, I haven't won that battle yet.
>
> Today, for me, Alvarion has the upper hand. They have the right
> product, at the right price, at the right time, which was a very bold
> and smart move strategically to make. Mutually for the WISP's benefit
> and Alvarions.  Gain the market share, while they have the unique
> product to accomplish it.  But, its not clear that Alvarion will have
> that same advantage 6 months from now, when Trango launches their next

> generation product, which I can tell you is an exciting product.  And
> Trango is listening, as that product will have high quality Dual
> Polarity Panel antennas. This is a leap frog industry. Trango's bigger

> mistake is that Trango gave up backwards compatibility, in their
> vision for new products.  That means they can't leverage their
> customer's existing huge investment in Trango installed base to their
> advantage, to encourage WISPs to wait for their new products from
> Trango. So Trango will have to compete head to head on feature set
> alone, like a start up product. Its hard to win just on being #1 with
> features.   Just like winning subs, who gets their first with a viable

> option, wins them. Same applies to manufacturers selling products.
>
> I believe a WISP buys based on the following priorities....
>
> 1) Leverage existing investment
> 2) Time to market
> 3) Features
> (Price of course being a major factor, but relative to 1,2,3).
>
> I'm starting the move to Alvarion, for many parts of my network
> because, Alvarion is offering me an improved "Time to Market"
> advantage, meaning a SOLUTION that best meets my need today.  This is
> to late in the game, to be waiting for product.  The only delay, I can

> justify accepting is, waiting for my subscriber prospect to sign our
> [...]
On
> [...]
>
> Funny watching all of this go back and forth- I think since it started
> we have installed another 10-12 VL's for our customers. I really don't
> know how you guys find the time to keep up with this.
>
> You all can argue the merits of the technical abilities of the
different
> products but what really make the count for us is REVENUE- Revenue
pays
> the bills and keeps the whole ship afloat. Now when I say revenue I
> don't mean enough for me to take a check and go to the grocery. I mean
> enough revenue to hire the proper staff, (so I don't have to work 80
> hours per week), revenue to rent a real office, revenue to pay full
> benefits like health care and 401K, revenue to pay for training,
revenue
> to purchase network management so we can keep an eye on the network,
> revenue so we can take a few days off and attend industry trade shows
> and seminars, etc etc.
>
> So if you set aside your technical dream solution hat (I am an
engineer
> by training too) and instead put on your revenue hat you will see
things
> with a different light.
>
> A solution is not revenue focused if it does not scale your customer
> base beyond the grocery store check. Scale means the products allow
you
> to install LOTS of customer without each one being a science project.
> Scale means you have a VERY LOW failure rate. Scale means the solution
> fits a majority of your desired customers. Scale means you have all of
> the tools needed to prevent your customers from abusing you or your
> other customers. Scale means you can hand the product to a contractor
> and it will get installed without a major effort. Scaling means..etc
> etc...
>

> A solution that scales also comes with REAL support. A real account
> manager and a real SE- not to mention marketing. Can you really expect
> your network to keep up with/grow to your needs if your sole source of
> product information and future direction is a WEB site? When was the
> last time a Trango EMPLOYEE asked for your feedback?
>
> We have installed well over 1000 VL's and close to 1900 total
customers,
> almost all using Alvarion products. We started with Wifi, Trango, MOTO
> etc but in the end the Alavarion product line was the most focused on
> revenue and the only solution that allowed us to scale. Today our
> customers are VERY happy and our network performs excellently. We have
> very LOW turnover (almost none) and our monthly AR is also very low. I
> learned long time ago that happy customers pay their bills and unhappy
> ones, well you know what happens.
>
> So in summary the VL's and (Alvarion products) may not have every
> version of every possible bell and whistle but if you decide to really
> make a big play (scale) you can't go wrong with Alvarion and their

VL
> than Canopy both per cell and per CPE since the advent of the
> AlvarionCOMNET program for WISPs.
>
> If you analyze completely today, you may find that Canopy's GPS
ability
> is the only thing left that can even be spun as being an advantage
over
> BreezeACCESS VL since we have come out with v.4.0 and the
AlvarionCOMNET
> program. And when you realize that Canopy needs 2x sectors PER cell
> get the same capacity) and about 2x cells PER geography (to achieve
the
> same coverage) -- it becomes pretty clear why Canopy must have GPS.
>
> Patrick Leary
> AVP WISP Markets
> Alvarion, Inc.
> o: 650.314.2628