Tom,
Our group, when at Nortel, developed a WEB cache product.  That was during
the days when a typical business had only a 56k digital line to the
Internet.

It was very tough to do a generalized cache because very few sites had
expiration tags on their HTML components.  However, a lot more do today and
aggressive caching (just hoping that the content at the component URL
wouldn't change) isn't so necessary to get reliable caching...just cache the
page pieces until their expiration dates.

However, then, your observation was very prescient; we couldn't get any site
to understand that caching of their common components would reduce the load
on their servers.  More recently, most have gravitated toward a decent
discipline in that regard.

Actually, it's quite fun to explore pages today.  You can see those dates
with FireFox Mozilla under TOOLS/PAGEINFO/MEDIA.  When you scroll through
the subwindow of components for the page (try YAHOO.COM for example) you'll
see expirations on most that are a month or two away and what caching can
do.

If you want to get very esoteric and have a lot more fun (And, Travis,
unless you've tried this...I don't to insult you efforts but I just found
out about this amazing...simply amazing plug-in for Firefox...it should be
helpful in debugging your Web page);
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1843/
The firebug debugger (download it and, thereafter, bring up the HTML
debugging window with an F-12 key) gives you amazing insights into the page.
For example, open the debugger window and select debug tab and, when you
pass your cursor over the exposed understructure displayed in the debug
window, it will highlight on the real page, above, the part associated with
the understructure component.  It's easy to find parents and children of
things, and other stuff that would otherwise be an intractable mess.

. . . j o n a t h a n