1GB Fiber is typically using Packet over SONET.
I have typically seen over 500 mbps on these links, even from Telcove/L3.
But the distance is usually a factor.
Running from NoLa to ATL on a long-haul, single hop 1GB fiber run introduces lots of regen issues, so 500 mbps would be a blessing.
Most people don't need as much pipe as they buy either.

- Peter

Tom DeReggi wrote:

I do not believe that people like ATT&T are passing over 200mbps on their GB Ethernet fiber links, when they are using them as backbones or extensions to existing customer's connection, for the reason I brought up. I just don't think that the end user custoemr base is smart enough to know the difference.

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc
IntAirNet- Fixed Wireless Broadband