On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 09:52:37 -0600, Jory Privett wrote
> I do not think Peters argument was that the data should be shared.
>  I think he is against that as much as anyone.   BUT  what needs to
> happen is that someone needs to check and verify the data that is
> collected.  The FCC does no review of what is submitted. A ILEC
> could have on DSL line in a zip code and therefore claim that
> broadband is available for the entire area.  This is the kind of
> thing that needs to be checked and verified.
>
> Jory Privett
> WCCS

Why?  What is so sacred about broadband that the federal government has to
come in like a bull in a china shop and start just banging around willy-
nilly?

Think about this:  We use this "single dsl line in a zip code" argument,
and then what one of us would lease a tower site, put up equipment and
backhauls, install ONE customer and then refuse to serve anyone else there,
and do this in every town for 100 miles in every direction?

What kind of crazy nonsense is that?

The only time that makes sense, is when it pays to do it, that's why.   So
why and how would someone profit from doing it.  Answer that question, and
you'll answer why there are broadband problems in the US (if there really
is any) and it won't require a single confidentiality breach, or anything
else.

Remember, this argument is about the SUCCESS of a set of policies, and that
people want to change them.  Frankly, I think the spread of broadband
coverage is going to go about the same speed no matter if the governemnt gets
deeply involved or not.   About the best it can do proactively is nothing.
The best it can do at all, is GET OUT OF THE WAY.

If that means letting some spectrum loose, that would help.  If it meant
telling the federal land managers (USFS, BLM, etd) to stop demanding a half
million dollar EIS to build a tower for a WIFI backhaul, and other such
nonsense, that's "getting out of the way", too.