On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 12:23:19 -0500, Tom DeReggi wrote
> Don't misinterpret this as suggesting not to file, as I believe one
> should file for various reasons. But I disagree with statements and
> the reason to file are different.
>
> First, At a FCC/WISP meeting, I remember a very enlightening
> presentation from Patrick Leary.  The key statement was "Where
> Wireless goes, DSL follows".  Its more true than we can imagine.
>  Only thing is, In upcomming years its going to be, "Where Small
> Wireless providers go, FIOS and/or ILEC WIMAX deployments follow".
>  Nobody appreciate an unserved market, until you see your
> competition wanting it and profiting from it.  History has proved,
> you kill your competition before they grow strong enough to be a
> threat. They won;t take the small WISP approach to go where no one
> has served yet. They will take the Mcdonalds/Wendy's approach of
> using our data to find the most profitable areas to serve, where
> they can take the business from WISPs. Executive's Ego's are
> involved, and they don't like to see others outshining them  Provide
> Form477 info publically, so competitors can see it in detail, It
> will be damaging.
> (Unless of course the informatioin disclosed shows no real threat in
> terms of volume)

You know, I see the same pattern too.   In 1999 here, there was no telco DSL
in 90% (terms of population) of the area I now am covering or soon to
cover.   Between 1999 and now, a wireless provider in the area applied for
the low interest loans (and was approved) for a large amount of it.
Amazingly enough, DSL sprouted up all over the place where Qwest had said "we
have no plans to put it in", in all those places where public money had
become available and was requested by said WISP (not me).

City A has all of 1300 people, and city W has 700 people and found themselves
with DSLAMS installed and stringing new cables all over town.   The project
was huge and kept the telco guys here for months, in a town of a few hundred
people.  Just up the road is a town of 6000 people, but no public funds were
applied for for this town.   NO DSL in that town.  They're all served by
Qwest.   Still no plans to put in DSL in said town of 6000 people, either.
Heck, they've got remote DSLAM's to serve 20 and 50 customers spread across
the countryside out in the boonies... In the area were loans were approved to
provide broadband....

> The reason Form 477 should be filed is that its not meant for public
> eyes. Its meant for the FCC, so they can make intelligent decission
> with that inforamtion, to foster growth in the industry for
> consumers benefit. The FCC already knows WISPs are a major player
> now in theory. But they need proof to backup opinion.  Form 477
> helps provide that.

But if we look at this differently, the data becomes a snapshot of growth.
Ready-made demographics and marketing research, all done by each of us,
spending big bucks to do real life marketing, which, if it ends up being
publicly available, provides a road map to every Cableco and ILEC and CLEC to
show them right where they need to go.  They're too big to see life "on the
ground", but that information, once accumulated for a 2 or more years becomes
a great roadmap that analyists can use with incredible efficiency to tell
them exactly where we've cultivated markets and for them to move in on...

> There is not a viable compromise on this issue. We need the FCC to
> have this information, and we need the info to be held in
> confidence.  The Law and Fines are irrelevent as the goal is NOT to
> not file. The goal is to support confidentiality.

RIght... the question is:  Why should having a dumb pipe delivering bits to
customers make me required to risk my information in the first place?

It may seem against our interests, but I really think we should be on the
offensive against CPI on this in terms of "It's not really a federal case...
The nation's future does not revolve around you or anyone else knowing this".

Mark