Mac,

You said:
--------------------------
**This sounds like the answer I was looking for, but you failed horribly in
announcing that all the CPE would have to be StarOS as well. Why don't you
make something that will work with what we already have so many of? I am not
now nor will I ever be an ISP that is totally dependant on one mans gear or
software. All my eggs are never in one basket :-)
---------------------------

Lonnie, described a configuration, which can be achieved by using a number
of devices, and not necessarily tied with StarOS. Yes, all of this
functionality is very conveniently built into StarOS, and may offer the
highest leverage of the monies spent.

But what I am curious about is why would you say that using StarOS would be
totally dependent on one man's gear. Using Motorola Canopy, Trango,
Alvarion, would be using one company's gear that does not interoperate.....

Using StarOS on a Wrap/Soekris/PC board with Atheros/Ubiquity Wireless
modems is more like building your own PC hardware and putting on whatever
operating system one wants. 802.11 a/b/g are standards developed to have
different vendor's gear interoperate with each other, and yes, each vendor
is free to use/create additional enhancements which may not be compatible
with other vendors, but this is nothing different from all the existing
practice.

Moto claims, P7,P8,P9 hardware from the same product line may not
interoperate unless you use a particular firmware or change hardware.. ( I
am not speaking specifics, more a of general statement)

Trango, has gone thru the  cycle where the original 5380AP's would need to
be replaced so as to upgrade...
Heck even in the routing world, there are feature on a Cisco Router, which
does not work with any other router or might not even work with some of
their own product.

StarOS is more of a 'Router' operating system like CISCO IOS or Juniper OS,
which just happens to be highly tuned for wireless networks , and less of a
'Wireless Radio' (e.g like Moto Canopy, Trango, Alvarion etc).

I would have thought that if not being tied to any one mans' gear was
important, ( my personal thoughts are that this is a Utopian Goal, heavily
promoted by folks who sell product branding), you would be much more open to
embracing something like StarOS (which is built on Linux, open source !) and
offer the greatest amount of flexibility than otherwise.

My personal experience is that this is more like the Windows vs Linux/*Nix
debate. It really does not matter what one says and how one justifies it, at
the end of the day it is all about "How Comfortable does one feel?" with one
product vs the other.

Respectfully,

Faisal Imtiaz
SnappyDSL.net