On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 00:49:52 -0500, Rick Smith wrote
> OK, Don't point me to some confusing URL I don't have time
> (or patience) to read about how to comply with CALEA.
>

> How would you provide the "hook" in so the FBI could just
> listen in at any time  (is that the way it works ? Or do
> they still need to provide a subpoena...) ?
>
> Others I'm sure will come up..

I've spent.. well... quite a bit of time watching for the "key" data to show
up that answers those questions.

I can't answer them.  I can't find the information, either.

The best I can find, is that you must provide either (can't tell which )
either all the data that goes to and from a specific user... OR a specific
IP, provided in a specific format (don't know what that format is, can't find
out) to the requesting LEA within 2 hours if it is an "amber alert" or 2 days
if any other type of request.

There is a data format or protocol which is supposed to be used, but I cant'
find out what it is.

I did manage to read that there will unlikely be any any open source
implementations, since the protocol is not free or open and that the license
is very costly.

All I can find is that we're going to have to comply with "industry
standards".  I can't figure out who is creating those standards, or if those
standards will be open for implementation, or we'll have to pay a license to
those who created them.