To: "WISPA General List" <wireless@wispa.org>
Sent: Sunday, February 18, 2007 3:14 PM
Subject: Re: [WISPA] wisp survey

The FCC has given some unlicensed spectrum, in part, to help make lower cost access and more access to broadband available in the US. Future access to more of this unlicensed spectrum will require some accountability by the FCC that unlicensed spectrum is helping to serve that purpose. By not filing we show less impact toward filling the "digital divide" and we are indirectly helping to justify criticism by others that unlicensed spectrum is not effectively serving the public interest in regard to broadband availability. Filling out the forms would help us to ask for and receive more spectrum and policy relief when needed in order to continue to advance the public interests of more access and lower cost access to broadband in the US. As of now Form 477 results show WISPs as serving less than 1% of the public with broadband. This is artificially low due to non-compliance by WISPs to fill out their forms.

How can the FCC justify helping WISP interests if we cannot even show what we are doing to deliver broadband using the spectrum we have been given? How would the FCC helping us, in turn, help the public interest if there is no accountability that we are helping to serve the public interest? They (the FCC) are absolutely justified in their desire to see more WISPs fill out these forms and we should be complying with this. It is not a "big brother" issue at all. Form 477 is there to justify our representation in policy initiatives that we need to survive.

One other issue is that it is a matter of the law. We are required to comply.
Scriv

Larry Yunker wrote:

Marlon,

I understand that the vast majority of WISPs have chosen not to file the 477 form (or in the alternative they just don't know that they are supposed to file).

Just out of curiousity, what do you hope to accomplish by locating the thousands of non-compliant WISPs? Are you hoping to use this as-of-yet unidentified mass to evidence the difficulty of meeting the standard, or are you hoping to convince those non-compliant WISPs to join WISPA in its efforts to develop a workable standard? or are you just hoping to prove out the estimates that you have already provided to the FCC? Or is there some other driving force?

Larry Yunker

----- Original Message ----- From: "Marlon K. Schafer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>