Rick Smith wrote:
This could be the same path as the arguments for and against Open Source are
taking these days.

In the end, Open Source is winning...

However, I see a "bad apples" component to Mark's argument. If the rules
are to allow us to mix / match any individually certified components
into a whole new component, there will be some idiots out there that
will throw an amplifier or whatever else in between, just to be different

That's what the FCC is scared of...junk all over the place.
And that would be different from now?

If an operator does not want to abide by the rules the component changes aren't going to make a difference. I don't see how the component rule would be a bad thing, if it is possible to certify radio/software/antenna sets.

Sam Tetherow
Sandhills Wireless
I see nothing wrong with piecing together components like Mikrotik, WRAP
boards, CM9's, SRx's, etc. as long as we stay within the technical limits
of the law. there are those here that will scream at me (us, and don't forget that..) for doing this, and to those I say, "go certify it!"

I have an idea though. Well, a repeat idea. I'm not sure how the certification process works, but wouldn't it be interesting to get all
these "open source" pieces certified by the FCC, and then put it to bed ?