On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 09:40:14 -0500, Rick Smith wrote
> Anyone understand the full process of getting something certified at
> the FCC ?

No, but what I do know, is that it's several thousand dollars per test
routine.   Then, when you're done, the ONLY people who can sticker it, is the
guy that bought the testing.  Thus, if YOU do it, only YOU can assemble and
sticker the  stuff.

Even I follow, EXACTLY what you did  to get certified it isn't "legal" unless
you're willing to stand behind the combination and sticker it as built by
you.

And EVERY change of any kind, if it's a new pigtail, new enclosure, new brand
of antenna, new software....  All requires the whole process again.

The FCC has, for other purposes, for both intentional and unintentional
radiators, the ability to use DoC, or Declaration of Conformity, which is all
about using known commodity parts, which are compliant, assembled, and is
considered compliant because they recognize the parts are.

> I.e. I'd like to send in an RB112 with SR9, pigtail, LMR jumper, and
> Pac Wireless Yagi to get certified as a combination.   And, every
> other combination I use.
>
> As I understand the rules, that would allow me to call that combination
> legal,
> as well as giving it a separate "product name" that I (or anyone I
> subcontracted)
> could resell it as, and then put this "sticker conscious" crap to silence.

The rules are such that you're not really going to want to do this.  You'll
have to provide for the fact that people might try to change that CM9 for a
WLM54AG and then it's illegal.  Or they might need to use grids instead of a
panel, or want a rootenna instead.  Then there's the AP use, where EVERY
combination has to be certified separately with each  sector or omni, blah,
blah.