I can't imagine you would go broke. I seem to recall that you aren't but a couple of radio shots away from cheap bandwidth in St. Louis. Certainly, a couple of long range high throughput radios wouldn't make you go broke.

-Matt

John Scrivner wrote:
I tell them the fiber is down. I guess I could go broke trying to be more fault tolerant. Please understand I appreciate your feedback but understand that my service area does not have a single fault tolerant broadband solution. If people want fault tolerance here then the option is to buy two broadband connections from two providers and have an auto-fail over router. I promote this to people who want fault tolerant connectivity. If/when we roll out our 12 county AWS based broadband / cell network we will be multi-homed. Until then the economics of this would make us broke. I am not exaggerating.
Scriv

Matt Liotta wrote:

Sure it is more costly than being single-homed, but being multi-homed is pretty important. If your single provider goes down what do you tell your customers?

-Matt

John Scrivner wrote:

Maybe it is very costly to do? Charter Pipeline service in my market is not multi-homed either. Neither am I at this point. I used to be multi-homed in the days when 2 T1s did the job. It is not easy to swing redundant fiber runs in a town that is 75 miles from the nearest telco-hotel. When I get multi-homed fibers here then I will probably do that through a mini-telco-hotel facility here and make that place a new business opportunity in itself.
Scriv

Matt Liotta wrote:

It does make you wonder why the ISP in question wasn't multi-homed.

-Matt

Tim Wolfe wrote:

Thank The good Lord above that I never signed the TelCove contract for bandwidth last year!. I mean, you really have no idea what the local provider was doing wrong, but to turn off a school district and fire CO on that system, COME ON!. You can bet the lawsuits from the school district alone will make Level 3 think twice about doing this again?. If you have an offending server, the stupid thing has an IP address, Block it!. I would hope that Level 3 has enough smarts to do this?. Even a little guy like me knows how to block an offending IP address, and I am stupid, LOL!

Matt Liotta wrote:

http://gigaom.com/2007/03/14/why-did-level-3-turn-off-a-rural-isp/