To: <wireless@wispa.org>
Sent: Tuesday, March 20, 2007 8:02 AM
Subject: [WISPA] My bad--apologies to the List!

Folks, I'm sorry about my most recent-incomplete-post. My wife's PC crashed
while I was drafting the post and I must have hit "Send" instead of "Save"
when I closed mine down. It was late-what can I say? Mea culpa!

To finish the thought processes, "The Two 'S' Rule" refers to the essential
components for successful implementations: Specifications and Supervision.
What I want done has to be thoroughly and clearly specified and communicated to employees or contractors; later, the responsibility to follow through and
ensure that I receive what I'm paying for is solely mine. As an old boss
used to say, "What gets measured, gets done". If I don't check what's being
done, I can't know what's being done, and the inevitable hit to my bottom
line is nobody's fault but mine.

Achieving success concerning your other point, Tom, is an even more
difficult challenge. I've raised hackles for many years by pointing out that
the two least trained and least motivated groups of employees in most
technology-based service companies are the Installer and the Customer
Service Representative. For some reason, 'managers' seem to have great
difficulty justifying the investment in the training and remuneration
factors which motivate the two sets of employees with, by far, the most
day-in-day-out customer 'face time'. And I cannot expect field personnel to
make good judgments if they don't understand what they're doing, and why,
and if all they see and hear out of me conveys the business priority of
speed over quality. Yes, it's a difficult balance to achieve. But, as my Dad
used to say, "It's your business; manage it or lose it".

In the face of high customer acquisition costs, such 'logic' is mystifying.
Excepting emergencies and flukes, there is simply no excuse for sending
under-trained, poorly motivated or poorly equipped folks into the field IF
the goal is to grow a stable customer base. Customers have plenty of service
provider options these days and the playing field is becoming more crowded
every day. To put the concept into movie terms, if you botch it, they will
leave!

One last thing about courtesy wraps. The overall thickness of the
weatherproofing "wall" is relatively constant, regardless if it's on
LMR-400, LDF-7 or EW-20 (although it looks much larger on smaller cables). A layer of tape, one of mastic and four tape wraps should come out to be about the same 'depth' in any case, and the courtesy layer adds maybe 1/32nd of an
inch to the ~3/8" finished total.

Y'all have a great day! Ted Hatfield