>What patents did Vonage infringe upon.  What does Verizon have a patter on
>concerning voip ...

Many thanks to Peter, who supplied all the specifics of the patents in
question.  Interesting reading.

> ... and how does that effect the future?

I read the public announcement from Vonage issued the same day as the
injunction.  Basically, it sounds like they have no intention of obeying the
court order.  They state their intention to continue service until they get a
chance to request a stay of the injunction (in about 2 weeks), and further that
they have no intention of halting service as required by the injunction should
their request for a stay be denied (which they say they'd then appeal).  Stay
tuned for that next hearing in 2 weeks.

Vonage press release:
Vonage Enjoined; Company Expresses Confidence in Obtaining Stay and in Appeal
and Ability to Deliver Uninterrupted Service to Customers

HOLMDEL, N.J., March 23, 2007 /PRNewswire-FirstCall via COMTEX News Network/ --
The U.S. District Court in Alexandria, Va. today issued an order enjoining
Vonage from using certain VoIP technology named in its patent litigation with
Verizon. The order is not immediately effective, however, and Vonage is
confident its customers will see no change in their phone service.

The court announced its intent to hear stay argument in two weeks' time. At
that time, the court intends to render a decision regarding the stay, as well
as making the injunction effective. If the court denies the stay, Vonage will
seek a stay through appeal from the Federal Court of Appeals. Vonage is
confident it will be able to obtain a stay through appeal.

"We are confident Vonage customers will not experience service interruptions or
other changes as a result of this litigation," said Mike Snyder, Vonage's chief
executive officer.

The company has drafted its notice of appeal of the March 8 jury verdict and
will file that notice at the appropriate juncture in the court proceedings.

"Our fight is far from over," Snyder said. "We remain confident that Vonage has
not infringed on any of Verizon's patents - a position we will continue
vigorously contending in federal appeals court - and that Vonage will
ultimately prevail in this case."

Snyder continued, "Despite this obvious attempt by Verizon to cripple Vonage,
the litigation will not stop Vonage from continuing to provide quality VoIP
service to our millions of customers."

"Our appeal centers on erroneous patent claim construction, and we remain
confident that Vonage has not infringed on any of Verizon's patents - a
position we will continue to vigorously assert in federal appeals court," said
Sharon O'Leary, Vonage's executive vice president, chief legal officer and
secretary. "Vonage relied on open-standard, off-the-shelf technology when
developing its service. In fact, evidence introduced in court failed to prove
that Vonage relied on Verizon's VoIP technology, and instead showed that in
2003 Verizon began exploring ways to copy Vonage's technology," she added.

The company is focused on growing its business by investing in the rollout of
new technology and features, and continuing to grow its customer base. Vonage's
accomplishments continue to validate its business model and strategy. The
company has achieved 19 consecutive quarters of double-digit revenue growth,
doubled revenues to $607 million in 2006 alone, and added nearly 1 million net
subscriber lines last year.