From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of wispa
Sent: Tuesday, March 27, 2007 3:20 PM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] CALEA compliance methods

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 14:17:09 -0400, Dawn DiPietro wrote
> Mark,
>
> Wireless providers DO have to comply with CALEA whether you like it or
> not.
>
> As quoted from the link I sent you earlier;
>
> "Nor does our interpretation of section 332 of the Communications Act
> and its implementing regulations here alter either our decision in the
> CALEA proceeding to apply CALEA obligations to all wireless broadband
> Internet access providers, including mobile wireless providers, or our
> interpretations of the provisions of CALEA itself.
> As the Commission found, and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C.
> Circuit affirmed, the purposes and intent of CALEA are strikingly
> different than those of the 1996 Telecommunications Act, which is
[WINDOWS-1252?]> embedded in the Communications Act. As the Court noted,
"CALEA-
> -unlike the 1996 Act--is a law-enforcement statute . . .
[WINDOWS-1252?]> (requiring telecommunications carriers to enable 'the
government' to
> conduct electronic surveillance) . . . . The Communications Act (of
[WINDOWS-1252?]> which the Telecom Act is part), by contrast, was enacted
'[f] or the
> purpose of regulating interstate and foreign commerce in
[WINDOWS-1252?]> communication by wire and radio' . . . . The Commission's
> interpretation of CALEA reasonably differs from its interpretation
[WINDOWS-1252?]> of the 1996 Act, given the differences between the two
statutes."121
> Thus, our interpretation of the separate statutory provisions in
> section 332 of the Communications Act, whose purposes closely track
> those of the Telecommunications Act of 1996 and the Communications Act
> generally, in no way affects our determination that mobile wireless
> broadband Internet access service providers are subject to the CALEA
> statute.122"
>
> Here is the link again so you can read it if you choose to do so.
> http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-07-30A1.pdf

Dawn, respectfully...  But, please understand my point.

Tomorrow, the FCC COULD reverse it's opinion and we'd be exempt.  JUST LIKE
THAT, without a single court decision, without a single sentence from
Congress, etc.   In fact, WE WERE EXEMPT until 2006, when the FCC changed
its
mind.

So, what kind of law applies ... or doesn't... Depending on the whim of
unelected beaurocrats?  CALEA isn't that vague.  It's just misapplied.

I maintain that the FCC is in error in it's interpretation of what is a
"telecommunications" provider and we should be shouting it at them at 36dbm
and 102 decibels.

In fact, EVERY ISP, NSP, etc, organization should be snowing the FCC under
in objections.  And maybe some legal efforts, too.