From the lawyers....
marlon

Congress creates legislation, approves it, and then sends it to the President for signature. After that occurs, you have a federal law. In those laws, Congress may delegate authority to carry out the goals of the legislation.

CALEA is a federal law and delegates responsibility for much of its implementation to the FCC. The FCC decided first how wireline providers should become compliant with CALEA. Then, after consultations with DOJ, the FCC determined that both facilities-based broadband and VoIP providers should also become CALEA compliant.

There have been court challenges as to whether CALEA's delegated authority extends sufficiently for the FCC to decide that providers of information services (broadband) must follow CALEA. Last summer, the DC Circuit Court of Appeals upheld the FCC's extension of CALEA to broadband and VoIP in American Council on Education v. FCC. Here's the link to the actual ruling: http://www.eff.org/Privacy/Surveillance/CALEA/dccircuit_calea_ruling.pdf Judge Edwards wrote a well reasoned and strong dissent starting on page 21 that Mark would surely agree with. But he lost.

This is a prime example of the type of behavior that continually undermines the WISP industry. Why should the FCC open TV whitespace spectrum on an unlicensed basis to companies that urge fellow providers to ignore government laws, especially those specifically designed to ensure public safety and national security? Everybody is free to disagree about the effectiveness, cost, and limitations of CALEA compliance. But no one is entitled to break the law simply because they don't like it.

Kris
__________________
Kristopher E. Twomey
Telecom/Internet Law & Regulatory Consulting
www.lokt.net

Marlon K. Schafer (509) 982-2181 wrote:
Hi Kris, Julie and Maura,

Can anyone put a good legally acceptable reply to this together for me to respond with? He brings up some good points that I'm ill equipped to deal with.

thanks,
Marlon
(509) 982-2181
42846865 (icq) WISP Operator since 1999!
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.odessaoffice.com/wireless
www.odessaoffice.com/marlon/cam

----- Original Message ----- From: "wispa" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>