Certification wouldn't matter on this; he's not looking to use any
wireless functions on the product.  It's a straight Ethernet based
solution.

DD-WRT may be controversial as a wireless solution, but it makes a
pretty good router for a $50 device (IPTables, OSPF/BGP/RIP, PPTP VPN,
IPSec VPN, Radius support, more).  Wireless is only one portion of
DD-WRT and can be turned off.

There are also some commercial ones that keep the nice embeded aspects
for a few hundred.

--
Clint Ricker
Kentnis Technologies