I’ve been following this thread for several days but have been on the road
and haven’t had time until now to sit down and weigh in—apologies.

Jack Unger obviously knows a good deal about this topic; his comments
highlight several relevant issues:

A)  The factors which govern microwave path engineering are indeed ‘cut and
dried’, well proven and well understood;

B)  Interference issues do “go away” during the licensing process itself,
well prior to hardware deployment. Jack defined this side of the equation
nicely, simultaneously illustrating why licensed spectrum is so valuable;

C)  Antenna and radio manufacturers offer models varying in gain and price,
among other factors. (For example, we’ve successfully used 18 GHz, 400
MHz-wide paths to cross over a two hundred foot railroad ROW, and to go
farther than 13 miles). AGC/ALC and/or variable attenuation circuits have
been around for a LONG time and work very well. There is simply NO excuse
for a properly designed and licensed path to not perform correctly. Any
“engineer” who cannot design a link which fires up within 5 dB of a link
budget (remember, 3 dB means either halving or doubling the power) either
isn’t particularly competent or was given bad data; and

D)  As someone pointed out previously, each and every microwave path
embodies some unique circumstances, and a one-size-fits-all approach merely
demonstrates naiveté. Lots of people seem able to hang and activate
equipment, and ‘make it “work”’; smart operators who wish to build and
retain a satisfied customer base in an increasingly competitive environment
first take steps to ensure that the system will perform properly. It needs
to be said again: Problems with “real world versus theoretical” performance
are usually caused by bad field data or incompetence—at the engineering
and/or installation side—or both.

All of the above said, it makes little sense to me, in a forum such as this,
to delve too deeply into the arcane minutia of antenna design engineering.
Nonetheless, a few minutes of research in a good catalogue will demonstrate
that, for any given frequency band and design configuration, the general
rule is that the larger the antenna’s aperture, the more gain and the
sharper beamwidth the antenna produces—this same rule of thumb applies to
satellite antennas as well as to microwave dishes and grid packs. Thus,
regulations which either limit or mandate antenna design and size will
inevitably impose performance penalties upon system operators by eliminating
design options.

Folks, I’ve been “living in licensed space” for many years, and have
installed more microwave systems than I care to remember between the 2, 4,
13, 18, 28, and 38-42 GHz bands. One of the most important things I’ve
learned is that licensed spectrum is not a panacea, nor is it the
monster-under-the-bed it’s sometimes made out to be. Another key point is
that regulation is most definitely a two-edged sword, one that is ALWAYS
wielded by someone my business cannot control.

Therefore, it is important in my view that the limited resources of any
trade association be applied to matters which most directly benefit its
members—and comments from an association seem to carry more weight at the
FCC than those from a couple of individuals. Speaking broadly and generally,
almost ALL regulation of technology should be opposed or minimized to the
fullest extent possible. I try never to forget that regulation which
benefits my business today could easily lead to punitive mandates or
restrictions tomorrow while benefiting someone else … You all might also
consider talking to my old friend Andrew Kreig of the WCAI about a joint
response—see http://www.wcai.com/.

Just my 2¢ (and then some, as usual!)  Ted  {:-)

Edward J. Hatfield III, President

E.J. Hatfield & Company

5142 Edgemoor Drive

Norcross, GA  30071-4342  USA