Sometimes it is easy to forget what the pitfalls can be of working in a virtual online community. I have never seen anyone do a better job of identifying and characterizing how best to deal with these challenges than two guys from Google who made this presentation which is actually geared for the online open source development community. See it here:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4216011961522818645

If you do not want to watch the whole thing then at least look at 11:00 minutes through 12:30 and maybe 30:00 through 31:00 minutes. I saw some things in here that I was guilty of and I am not pointing fingers at anyone. If you think I am pointing a finger at you then all I can say is that maybe the mirror hurts! :-) Enjoy.
Scriv