Tim,

I read the 2nd Report and Order and I don't see where it is saying that a certified mini PCI radio can be put into any "base" unit.

I think what the FCC is doing is:

1. Providing eight criteria that clarify the definition of what a legal modular assembly is.

2. Allowing some flexibility regarding on-module shielding, data inputs, and power supply regulation.

3. Clarifying the definition of what a "split" modular assembly is.

4. Defining the (somewhat flexible) requirements that a "split" modular assembly must meet.

Although a motherboard will certainly contain an operating system, I don't think that a mini PCI radio plugged into any motherboard meets the FCC's definition of a "split" modular assembly. I think the FCC considers a "split" modular assembly to be where circuitry that today would be contained on a single modular assembly is (now or in the future) "split" between two different physical assemblies. This splitting allows more equipment design flexibility because one "transmitter control element" (the new term that the FCC formerly called the module "firmware") could theoretically be interfaced with and control more than one "radio front end" (the amplifier and antenna-connecting) section.

Of course, that's just my interpretation. I'll bet others could add more detail. The bottom line is - I don't think this 2nd Report and Order contains anything that will substantially change the way we do business.

jack

Tim Kerns wrote:
Am I reading this correctly???? Does this mean that if a mfg of a mini pci radio gets it certified with different antenna, that it then can be put into ANY base unit and be certified?

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this what we have been asking for?

Tim

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dawn DiPietro" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>