Mark Koskenmaki wrote:
I didn't read it all, just scanned a bit and read some summaries, but
there's NOTHING GOOD in it for us.   Not much good in it for consumers,
either.
The fact that it's 200 pages looks a bit daunting, but once you learn how to use the magic FCC Decoder Ring, it gets a lot easier. Every section start with "here's what this section will talk about," then a bunch of "X party said this about that idea," then a couple paragraphs at the end that say "and we're doing This, and here's why." You can safely skip over those middle sections, as they don't contain too many surprises (and about 90% of them are the FCC saying "we reject this idea" anyway).
Basically, the FCC is gunning for the big bucks on the spectrum auction and
there's NO spectrum considered, as best I can tell, for use for small WISP
use.   Rather, it's regionally and market sized auctions for the most part,
and then something or other about cellular market auctions.   I dunno what
all those mean, but I can predict it's nothing I'll ever get to use.
The smallest licenses are tied to "Cellular Market Areas," most of which are eight or ten counties. Basically, the perfect size for a WISP.

Can someone more familiar than I with FCC-fu explain to me, though, how it is that about a third of those CMA licenses appear to already have been sold? (There's an FCC Auction 49, in which 246 CMAs labeled "lower 700MHz band" were sold in spring 2003.)

As an aside, how will the remaining 500 or so of those licenses be sold?

David Smith
MVN.net