My opinion then, is that the FCC can get off their duffs and provide internet to the hinterlands themselves. There is more to CALEA than having a $500 unix box, and sharing a $7000 turnkey box is not an option unless you are sharing it within a tight geographical area since response times on execution of certain parts of CALEA is shorter than an overnight shipment.

As for getting more spectrum, quite honestly I will believe it when I see it. The FCC is far more interested in the cash that spectrum sales bring in than it is interested in providing the best use of the spectrum for the American public.

   Sam Tetherow
   Sandhills Wireless

cw wrote:
My opinion is that you're not helping the big picture by saying compliance is more than you can handle. The FCC is not going to go out of their way to hand out more spectrum to providers that can't perform basic requirements. Just like they're not going to help providers that refuse to file 475 forms. You can build a unix box for five hundred dollars that will do the job for you. Or you can buy a turnkey box with support for seven thousand. I've seen it suggested people pool their funds and share a $7000 turnkey box. If you can't do any of these things, then you can't provide required services. I don't like or trust government but I don't think they're out of line requiring providers be CALEA compliant. This one ain't special interests motivated. - cw

Jack Unger wrote:
Dear Representative Stupak,

I'm writing to support your request on March 14, 2007 asking that the FCC Commissioners consider a waiver from CALEA regulations for small broadband providers.

In a nutshell, the costs of complying with the CALEA provisions are far in excess of what small broadband providers can afford to pay. It is poor government policy to allow the costs of CALEA compliance to literally put small broadband providers out of business thereby denying broadband Internet access to many rural Americans.

Do you plan to introduce legislation that directs the FCC to reconsider their regulations and to consider the compliance costs when regulating small Internet access providers?

Please advise me how I can further support your effort to retain broadband Internet access service for rural Americans.

Thank you for your time, interest, and efforts.

Sincerely,
            Jack Unger

P.S. - I am copying this email to the general email list maintained by the Wireless Internet Service Providers Association (WISPA.org) to help as many small ISPs as possible learn about and support your efforts in their behalf. I will forward your response to this list.