I agree with Matt though I am becoming more biased towards Exalt. I have 6 Orthogon Spectra links in place for about a year now. I have had one radio failure that was promptly replaced when it was Orthogon not Motorola. I have also had 5 (yes FIVE) power supply failures during that time. Three were replaced quickly when it was Orthogon. My last 2 replacements from Motorola took 9 days and had to be shipped from the UK. Not really happy with that. Fortunately we had several spares from the Orthogon days.

I have 2 sites that are Exalt intense. One site has 4 links and the other has 7. On the site with four links we have three on one channel and one on another. Unfortunately we had an azimuth issue that prevented us from using just one.

On the second site we have all 7 links all on the same channel. Now THAT's spectral efficiency. Right Marlon??? :-P

Gotta luv that!

All of our links are outdoor ruggedized units. We have NO indoor only units. We are not using T1's.

We have had NO failures to date. We have GPS sync at all locations. We did have a mounting bracket that was missing hardware which was promptly replaced. Otherwise the stuff rocks.

It will also be great once the asymetrical bandwidth option is available in the next few weeks.

We have not tried any NLOS links with Exalt.

Bob

Matt Liotta wrote:
I wouldn't really compare Orthogon to Exalt as I believe they serve different market niches. We use both for very different purposes. Orthogon primarily for NLOS. We use Exalt for high throughput 5Ghz links. We used to use Orthogon for the same thing, but Exalt's sync capability allows for better spectrum usage, which is more important to us.

-Matt

Mike Hammett wrote:
It seems that Orthogon is about the same price, about the same channel size, and more bandwidth.

I see a TDM optimization in the Orthogon settings, though I dunno if they actually offer any TDM interfaces.

I also see a latency optimization setting, though my link is about 8 ms. Not sure how that relates to others.

-----
Mike Hammett
Intelligent Computing Solutions
http://www.ics-il.com