Often, when you have issues like this, a good practice is to reset TCP/IP
and Winsock.  This can especially be true on machines that have been mucked
up with Norton Internet (in)Security, which has an annoying habit of leaving
its firewall settings intact after uninstallation on at least some
versions.  This fixes a lot of things at once and so is often a good quick
fix.

The instructions below walk through the process...

Also, check out netstat (open command prompt, do netstat -ano (the n
disables DNS and the o shows the PID).  This can give you an idea as to what
sort of connections the computer is making and attempting to make.  It also
often reveals viruses, as anything that is trying to spam out or spread
itself out through the network will (generally) show up in here (although,
viruses sometimes do hide themselves).

-Clint Ricker
Kentnis Technologies.

TCP/IP and Winsock Reset

Reset the Winsock and TCP/IP stack...  Reset TCP/IP

Command usage netsh int ip reset [log_file_name]

To run the command successfully, you must specify a file name for the log
where actions that are taken by netsh will be recorded. For example, at a
command prompt, type either of the samples that are listed in the "Command
samples" section. The TCP/IP stack will then be reset on a system, and the
actions that were taken will be recorded in the log file, Resetlog.txt. The
first sample creates the log file in the current directory, while the second
sample creates a path where the log will reside. In either case, where the
specified log file already exists, the new log will be appended to the end
of the existing file.

Command samples netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt netsh int ip reset
c:\resetlog.txt

Reset Winsock

  1. Click Start, and then click Run.
  2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
  3. Locate the following registry subkeys:
  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock
  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock2
  4. Right-click each key, and then click Delete.
  5. Click Yes to confirm the deletion.

Note Restart the computer after you delete the Winsock keys. This action
creates new shell entries for those two registry subkeys. If you do not
restart the computer after you delete the Winsock keys, the next step does
not work correctly. When you restart the computer, you may see dialog boxes
that mention TCP/IP problems and various event log messages that relate to
services that you have installed. Ignore these messages. To reinstall
TCP/IP, follow these steps:

  1. Right-click the network connection, and then click Properties.
  2. Click Install, click Protocol, and then click Add.
  3. Click Have Disk
  4. Type C:\Windows\inf, and then click OK.
  5. In the list of available protocols, click Internet Protocol
  (TCP/IP), and then click OK.
  6. Restart the computer.