----- Original Message ----- From: "Sam Tetherow" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "WISPA General List" <wireless@wispa.org>
Sent: Thursday, May 31, 2007 7:50 PM
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Copper landlines gone by 2013

I don't deny any of that, but I'd be pretty pissed as a telco customer if they are allowed to pull out of those areas. A very large amount of money has been funneled through the USF program so that voice lines are available in the hinterlands.

Why?   Its not like those customers won't have service - just not
service through Verizon.  Plenty of companies waiting out there to
purchase phone pops, no matter how rural.

The latest sc... I mean plan... is for a group to form made up
of minorities, who apply for federal funds, and purchase a rural
telco area.  Then they contract with one of the existing Telcos
to "manage" the service.
The company that ends up "managing" of course sets the whole
thing up - so that they get cheap money.

Like you say, copper is not going away