To: "'WISPA General List'" <wireless@wispa.org>
Sent: Sunday, June 17, 2007 8:01 PM
Subject: RE: [WISPA] Copper Plant

I think what we're going to need to see in the wireless industry, very soon,
is affordable medium range (1.5 miles or less) gigabit speed backhauls.  I
feel that in an urban environment (city, etc) that we could build
SONET-style wireless gigabit rings around these areas.  FSO / 60ghz type
equipment, very little interference, etc. But the problem with this is - to
put a pair of these units up at the average multi-story building is not
effective cost-wise.  Each pair costs $20k+, and I know manufacturers are
holding back on lowering the price because they know how much actual fiber
costs to bury 1 mile and the time it actually takes.

I have enough high-rise customers I could build a backhaul ring network in
my area, and offer unbelievable speeds.  From those buildings, wireless
pico-cells could offer Wi-Max speeds to 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile. Or secondary
slower FSO links could be used for nearby customers.  Unlicensed 2.4/5.8
backhauls could also be used from these points.

But the cost would be astronomical right now. 10 or 20 of these units could
easily cost more than a Ferrari.  And would it have an ROI measured in 10+
years...