Hi John,

Thanks for taking the time to respond...as usually, listserv emails just
get typed out quickly late at night, and often are full of all sorts of
mistakes...This time around, I at least took the time to review what I
type once =)

That said, it would be great if you'd be willing to provide some
technical information about the TrangoLINK Giga, as all we have right
now is a lot of "guesses"

>6.  TrangoLINK-Giga uses 256 QAM modulation to get 311+ Mbps FD (not
240 Mbps as Charles claims) using an 80 MHz channel.

Using a 55 MHz channel...Horizon can achieve ~400 Mbps of FD
capacity...what's interesting here is that although it is "technically"
legal to license an 80 MHz channel under FCC 18 GHz rules, both
Dragonwave & Ceragon label their "56 MHz products" under ETSI; if memory
serves me correctly, there were issues and reasons why most
manufacturers with experience in Part 101 don't recommend licensing 80
MHz channels, but I can't for the life of me recall, so I'm not going to
push it (now 23 GHz is another matter)

But back to apples to apples...

TrangoLINK-Giga 256QAM in 56 MHz Channel = ~300 (as high as 311+) Mbps
FD Throughput
Dragonwave Horizon 256 QAM in a 56 MHz Channel = ~400 (as high as 450+)
Mbps FD Throughput

Now, the next question would to ask regarding throughput would be
payload and architecture related

Horizon is a native Ethernet radio and has a built-in GigE port...line
rate, depending on ethernet frame size (e.g., 64 byte), I have seen
throughput tests as high as ~450 Mbps FD on the 56 MHz channel variant
(avg throughput comes out to about 400 Mbps FD)

I have a few questions about the TrangoLINK-Giga

1. Is it a native Ethernet radio? Or is it Ethernet over SONET...most
"OEM" manufacturers have SONET-based platforms (e.g., OC-3 / OC-6 /
etc); I've seen such systems suffer due to the overhead of Ethernet to
SONET packet translation issues?

2. Do you have any packet per second / packet size / throughput tests of
the TrangoLINK-Giga in just a lab environment?

3. How do you support TDM ports using adaptive modulation?

>Using 128QAM TrangoLINK-Giga achieves 273 Mbps with a receive
sensitivity of -64.
>(comparable to Charles' claim about Horizon) Now, to REALLY compare
apples to apples, take Horizon's (per Dragonwave's datasheet) 40 Mhz
channel 256 QAM
>(297 Mbps with RX sens of -60.5) and compare it to Trango 40 MHz
channel 256 QAM (240 Mbps with RX sens of -63.2).  It is not as
different as he implies.

GigaLINK 128QAM: Rx Sens = -64 dBm
GigaLINK 256QAM: Rx Sens = -63.2 dBm

Something doesn't seem right about this number, a sampling of 6 other
radio manufacturers making similar products average 5-8 dB in Receive
Sensitivity loss when moving from 128QAM to 256QAM...Are you stating
that Trango only loses 0.8 dB of Rx sensitivty when moving from 128 to
256QAM?

-Charles