Rick, if you can determine whether or not the fiber is
on a pole or in a trench there is a possibility the
fiber company name will be listed in the "right of
way/joint pole/joint trench" agreement with the
incumbent utility.  This is especially true if on a
pole.  See fiber planners weblink as research source:

http://www.fiberplanners.com/pages/Industry_news.html

Also, there should be the usual 1-800 number for
contractors (which is used to mark joint trenches to
avoid dig-ins).

Finally, the incumbent Public Utilities Commission
most likely has a "common carrier" type tariff listed
and they probably have name of common fiber carriers
in your area:

http://66.218.69.11/search/cache?ei=UTF-8&p=joint+mux+agreements+new+york&fr=ush1-mail&u=www.mcgrawcom.net/tariffs/New%2520York.pdf&w=joint+mux+agreements+agreement+new+york&d=bHgZcOljO62e&icp=1&.intl=us

THE CONSULTANTS PERSPECTIVE IN THIS ISSUE ! - ARTICLES
ON DAMAGE TO COMMUNICATIONS UTILITY INFRASTRUCTURE and
Electronic Retrieval of Collision Data

http://66.218.69.11/search/cache?ei=UTF-8&p=fiber+dig+in+1-800+us+trench+hotline&fr=ush1-mail&u=www.forcon.com/newsletters/fall2001.pdf&w=fiber+dig+1+800+us+trench+trenches+hotline&d=BcxXd-ljO7JK&icp=1&.intl=us

This approach is based on what was done during my work
in the electric utility business in the Silicon Valley
at PG&E.

Felix Lopez
Utilities and Wireless Practitioner

http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/