Mike -

I'm in a sort of backwatery place with rent similar to what you're
quoting, so I'll just throw this in:

If you're just getting started, word of mouth and reputation is very
valuable to you - so if you can keep your prices low and give good
quality, those people will talk about you.  You can safely raise
prices as the demand for your time grows.

So, I do websites locally - my first clients did not pay a lot of
cash, but I could not buy the kind of incredible advertising that
they've provided for me.  Now, when people are beating down my door
and I have to turn down work - the prices go up.

i.e. I'd rather take 5 jobs for $50 then one for $250.  word of mouth
is everything in smaller markets!  If you can go cheap, you might find
that people who wouldn't consider hiring a 'consultant'.

Just some thoughts from another smalltowner :)