From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Clint Ricker
Sent: Monday, September 10, 2007 9:31 AM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] IPTV

Not ready for prime time...?  There's already several hundred thousand
subscribers on IPTV platforms in the US alone, so I'm not sure what
you're waiting for...  what shortcomings are you seeing?

The technology IS being deployed in "prime time" scenarios already
(AT&T, which is not known for being adventuresome with technology is
the biggest, but not the only domestic example; internationally, it is
being deployed much more widely).

The main problem that WISPs face is that you may have to do some
network overhauls to handle that sort of traffic...

When you "resell" DirectTV (unless they have changed their model since
2005, which is the last I looked at their agreements), it is more of a
referral/outsourced installation crew than reselling.  It does let you
offer triple play to a point, but (again, unless it's changed), you
can't do single bill and you can't really generate any reoccuring
revenue (which, as a service provider, is where your real profit tends
to be)....

Although you do have increased costs in doing your own in terms of
network buildout and so forth, you also effectively (if done right,
profitably) subsidize the buildout of a better network....

It probably is not quite viable for ultra-rural WISPs because of
really low densities and so forth.  In areas with higher densities
(definitely MDU), it is viable and deployable....

-Clint Ricker
Kentnis Technologies

----

> ** Join us at the WISPA Reception at 6:30 PM on October the 16th 2007 at
ISPCON **
> ** ISPCON Fall 2007 - October 16-18 - San Jose, CA   www.ispcon.com **
> ** THE INTERNET INDUSTRY EVENT **
> ** FREE Exhibits and Events Pass available until August 31 **
> ** Use Customer Code WSEMF7 when you register online at
http://www.ispcon.com/register.php **

----

----

** Join us at the WISPA Reception at 6:30 PM on October the 16th 2007 at
ISPCON **
** THE INTERNET INDUSTRY EVENT **
http://www.ispcon.com/register.php **

----