At 04:01 PM 9/14/2007, Japhy Bartlett wrote:

How come nobody seems to be using it?

The first Locustworld/meshbox/ultramesh deployment in the US was around 2000 a few dozen miles north of me in Vivian LA, (Fastline?) I met with the owner last year. Basically he was an WISP worth about $20-30k with debt of about $100k+.... I really hated to see that..

The thing about "mesh" is this. If all nodes are stationary that is one thing. (Muni-wifi nodes on lightpoles for example) If all nodes are roaming/moving that is entirely another matter. I am beginning to believe that no "mesh" (TCP/IP stack) is required if all notes are stationary like NOC's and NAP's and Telco Hotels on the Internet are stationary yet meshed using BGP (without locustworld or meraki)... Roaming in an entirely different matter. But meshes come often hand in hand with roaming which is too much to swallow all at once if you ask me. If it was easy to provide a multi-MBPS service with roaming cellphone technology, (roaming) they would have done it by now. EVDO sucks in my town. Faster than 1xRTT but still very intermittent with dropped connections.

Imagine a fire truck racing across town roaming from WIFI AP to AP without braking his TCP/IP socket. That is true mesh. Many "mesh" protocols and/or solutions don't address this issue of roaming across subnets which can be a TCP/IP nightmare on very large networks such as muni wifi networks.

Building a network that cannot scale in size is like building a time bomb, or at the very least, painting yourself into a corner. My point? I'm just asking why you think you need something else besides BGP or OSPF. If your nodes move, then I gotcha, Use Meraki or whatever mesh protocol works.. Otherwise, what exactly is your problem with OSPF? I'm just trying to learn more about meshing, and my comments are JMHO...

Allen

**
** THE INTERNET INDUSTRY EVENT **
http://www.ispcon.com/register.php **