On Thu, 20 Sep 2007, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Does anyone know what causes the swarming behavior in wasps around towers. I dont mean a few of them hanging out having a smoke and sharpening their stingers. I mean the big swarms of hundreds. We were at 4 different locations yesterday. All of them were unclimbable due to swarms of wasps. No nests on the structures either.

They are attracted to the RF for some reason. As for climbing, they are generally docile (at least around here). We usually see them around this time of year (or a bit later) as it starts to cool off. I suspect that the RF warms them. Either way, the ones around here usually are around 50-150'. It is spooky climbing through them, but so long as you don't set your hand on one, they are pretty calm. I was on a water tower a few years ago that had HUNDREDS of wasps floating around the top. Unfortunately, I was around the top, too. I spent 4 hours "in the swarm" with no stings.

--
Butch Evans
573-276-2879

**