Scottie Arnett wrote:

In my opinion, if they have something legit to transfer, they can setup and
use ftp. It works faster anyways IMHO.

You've obviously never been on a well-seeded torrent. :)

Seriously, plug yourself into your NOC right after a "big" Linux release (the new version of Ubuntu, released earlier this week, would be a good example). One of the fellows in my office did this yesterday, and was pulling about 30Mbps for the (very brief) time he needed to download the CD image.

You may need a fairly new computer, to be sure the networking stack and hard drive can keep up. A few years back, I did this same experiment with an older notebook; somewhere around 8Mbps, the laptop just locked up, and the hard drive (which was audibly crunching from all the random writes being asked of it) never worked again :(

Not many Web sites or FTP servers, aside from ones set up specifically for this sort of thing, match that speed. The best downloads I normally get from Microsoft (presumably an Akamai mirror of them, actually) is maybe 10-15Mbps.

From a purely technical standpoint, BitTorrent is amazingly efficient at distributing copies of bits. It's those other things like economics that are such a problem at times...

David Smith
MVN.net

**