Dave -  Here is a weblink:

http://www.sl.universalservice.org/data/pdf/ERATE_DISCOUNTS_FOR_SCHOOLS_AND_LIBRARIES.pdf

"The E-rate – or, more precisely, the Schools and
Libraries Universal Service Support Mechanism –
provides discounts to assist most schools and
libraries in the United States to obtain affordable
tele-communications and Internet access. Three service
categories are funded: Telecommunications Services,
Internet Access, and Internal Connections. Discounts
range from 20% to 90% of the costs of eligible
services, depending on the level of poverty and the
urban/rural status of the population served. Eligible
schools, school districts and libraries may apply
individually or as part of a consortium. The E-rate
supports connectivity – the conduit or pipeline for
communications using telecommunications services
and/or the Internet. The school or library is
responsible for providing additional resources such as
the end-user equipment (computers, telephones, and the
like), software, professional development, and the
other elements that are necessary to realize the
objectives of that connectivity. The E-rate is one of
four support mechanisms funded through a Universal
Service fee charged to companies that provide
interstate and/or international telecommunications
services. The Universal Service Administrative Company
(USAC) administers the Universal Service Fund at the
direction of the Federal Communications Commission
(FCC); USAC’s Schools and Libraries Division (SLD)
administers the E-rate. This document summarizes the
process schools and libraries follow to apply for and
receive

http://mail.yahoo.com