Clint Ricker wrote:

No one is saying that you have to sell $40 10Mb/s pipes at to customers for
them to use full tilt 24x7.  Restrict on bandwidth, if you choose.  Sell
metered.  Put caps on.  Why restrict based on "content type"?

Because some content types make customers call and complain, and some don't.

My network generally rate-limits or drops most "peer-to-peer" traffic, because our last-mile wireless gear often throws a fit when confronted with really aggressive P2P software. One customer running Limewire, using its default settings, can bring down a whole access point, annoying twenty or more other customers.

Frankly, I don't care what you're downloading, only how you're downloading it. I don't care if it's naughty videos or Linux ISOs, legal or not-so-much; if it degrades other customers' service, it'll get shut off. We're very up-front about this stipulation. When the "service problems" bad cop is combined with the "you didn't know it's probably illegal to download most of that stuff" good cop, most customers are very understanding. A few have been asked to find other service providers, and I don't weep overly for them.

You should not care--it doesn't cost you
any more or less, regardless as to what they choose to use their 6GB a month
for.

The P2P traffic costs me reputation and goodwill with my customers, so I would argue it's far more expensive than many other types of traffic.

David Smith
MVN.net