Travis Johnson wrote:
Matt,

We have not considered that, but it comes down to cost as well. We charge a $500 setup fee to get the fiber installed at the customer prem. It costs us about $1,000 to actually get the fiber installed including the Cisco switch with GBIC's. I understand the idea of CWDM and ADMs, but at the same time I see a downside. If one of the GBIC modules fails at the customer prem, they are down. With our current configuration, they would still be up and running. It would also add one more point of failure at each customer.

Doing the ADM approach would cost about the same. You are correct that without the Cisco you can't provide protection. However, you do get greater protection for your overall network with the ADM approach. This is because 2 failed Ciscos take out all nodes between the two failed Ciscos. In the case of the ADMs, only the active Ethernet part of the device can fail, which means the individual node goes down, but not the ring.

We adopted the KISS (keep it simple stupid) principle when we started doing the fiber. We run STP on the main switch at our NOC, so really traffic only goes out one GBIC at our NOC unless there is a problem. At that point, we get email notification and using our SNMP system, we can tell exactly where the problem is and get it fixed quickly. Right now we are only moving about 50Mbps of traffic, so even only having 1Gbps of capacity should work for many, many years to come.

That is a smart way to go. Trying to get more sophisticated with fiber can get expensive fast. We are selling a good number of GigE circuits on our fiber ring, so we have capacity issues that precluded us from using the approach you are taking.

We use a hybrid CWDM/DWDM approach. This means that initially we use CWDM for nodes until we have 4 channels in use. We make sure only to use the bottom and top 2 channels of CWDM. This then allows us to run DWDM later in the space of the middle 4 channels of CWDM. This is all done by popping in different cards with either passive CWDM filters or active DWDM electronics.

-Matt