Hi,

Honestly I'm not sure what info they are storing now-a-days. I know a lot of yahoo stuff is there and microsoft updates, etc. but I'm not sure what else.

Travis
Microserv

George Rogato wrote:
Thanks Travis.
I was hoping that Akamai would make somethings go faster being at my pop rather than across the net. Glad Windows updates are there. Any idea what else is there that is a possible bandwidth saver or performance enhancer.

We used to have Akamai Servers and a caching server back in the T-1 Dial up days, but when we went to managed modems and fiber for our connectivity, we cancelled the Akamai servers and shut down the cache.

Now with video's being so popular, I'm looking at Akamai again. I just don't know what content is stored on their servers. Would be nice if cnn, fox, nbc, abc, etc were all working with Akamai.

Wuld also be nice if there was other companies like Akamai to check out.

George

Travis Johnson wrote:
We've had it for almost 5 years now, and they actually approached us... so it was a simple form and they shipped us all the equipment (which does take about 4u of rack space and power... it's 3 servers and a switch).

I also know that our servers handle requests for people that are "close" to us, so they may only set up so many people in an area, I'm not sure.

Travis
Microserv

Forrest W. Christian wrote:
Travis Johnson wrote:
We love Akamai... especially during big Windows Update periods. :)

We serve 12 school districts and they all seem to do their updates on PC's and servers during the same times (during school breaks) and the Akamai servers save us a ton of bandwidth and the customers get GREAT speeds doing the updates.
What did you have to go through to get a set for your network?

-forrest