sorry if it was already mentioned, but what many
universities use for caching is (open src) squid:

 http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/v3/3.0/
 ftp://ftp.squid-cache.org

(software development originally funded by NSF (i.e.,
US taxpayers) to support research into performance
and scalability of caching.  i've been looking for
a paper for 5 years that compares the performance/costs
of akamai vs more open platforms on either the end
user or access provider, but have never seen any.)

from squid author, Duane Wessels:

You'll have to decide how you want users to reach Squid.  You could
write a "proxy.pac" file and then encourage folks to use it.  But
if its voluntary you might have a hard time getting enough takers.
A more aggressive approach is to use WPAD (DNS and DHCP tricks).
The most agressive way is to intercept port 80 traffic on a router
and shunt it to Squid.

See http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/ConfiguringBrowsers
or Chapter 4 of "Web Caching" (ISBN 1-56592-536-X)