I'm not sure what RSTP is and don't want to research it currently,
but I can tell you about one painful scenario:

a few years ago, Thinkpads (might have been IBM, or maybe it was just
after the Lenovo change) shipped with some software that offered to
help you manage the wireless networking.  If the laptop was plugged
into ethernet and then joined a wireless network, it would offer to
bridge the connections. Saying "yes" would create a packet storm on
our building network.

We had a few of the storms over several months. It seems like that
bridging option was dropped from the Thinkpads eventually (or you
could switch to windows zero config and avoid it).  Maybe do a search
on "arp storm", I think that is what was happening.