Sounds like you need to call the water department back and ask for the
contractor's name.

The contractor may think you are putting out 30 watts of power like a
cell provider. If so then this it is standard practice to turn that
gear off when people are working near it. Something about radiation
and 3 headed children or something silly like that! :)

Talk to the contractor and work around and with him/her. You should
have no major issues once they realize you are only putting out .5W!
You could even pay rent to the contractor for how-ever long it takes
to keep your gear online.

Good luck!

ryan