I never saw any of the earlier messages from this thread, but I have a 4 sq
mi mesh implementing right now. It is pretty much a tropical rain forest
without the rain.   I was required to use a dual radio product that only
allows meshing on 5.8. The 2.4 is for client access only.

Due to the trees, and I don't even want to mention how many nodes/mile there
are, it is very difficult to get signal injection into the outlying
neighborhoods.  I'm having to rely on VPN over cable modem as a last resort.
However, my latest experiments using Ligowave under tree canopy (at the 21
ft height at which my nodes are mounted) have been very promising.

Ligo is reasonably priced and offers a really decent penetration through the
overhanging trees.  I'm seeing -55 to -70 signals on my hoppity-hoppity-hop
links.   If I can do enough of it, I won't have to use any cable modems.
The dual radio units are very nice because the Ethernet port can allow me to
make the "host pole" a gateway without having to have a switch mounted there
as well!  Ligo on the pole, panels facing each direction up and down the
street and plug the Ethernet into the mesh radio.

I can concur with Brian. I was the one who had to be the 1 man SWAT team to
go in and fix those Earthlink networks after they were implemented.
Philadelphia was where I spent 80% of my time and it was an extremely
difficult place to make things work due to the 4-5 story residences that
were 6 feet from the street. I guess these are called brownstones.  If you
could not put radios at street corners, you were pretty much out of luck!

One more thing to say to those unfamiliar with mesh. This goes with the
paragraph two above this.  A mesh quickly becomes so slow that it is useless
without the proper number of gateways, or bandwidth injection points.
Although you may be able to mesh all the way to the city limits (or at least
out 6-8 hops), your speed will be a crawl.  You have GOT to have that
injection going on.  Sometimes as small of a ratio as 3-4 mesh nodes per
injection point.  That is why if you drive through Anaheim, Philly, (and for
another week- New Orleans), you'll see lots and lots of Canopy SMs hanging
from the Tropos radios.  That's the injection layer going back to a PtMP
canopy cluster someplace..

Ralph