I wouldn't necessarily say that a layer 2 mesh is more difficult to
troubleshoot than a layer 3 mesh with tunnels on top to achieve layer 2
functionality is... :)
L2 mesh networks can be quite scalable, especially when separating end
user traffic by performing l3 routing over the l2 mesh or by  using
VLANs.