Chris Caputo wrote:
> Speed is by powers of 10 and quantity is by powers of 2.  So Mbps is
> 1,000,000 bits per second, while a megabyte is 1,048,576 bytes.

If we're picking nits, don't forget the fact that most users are more
concerned with "how fast does my Web page load," so you have to account
for wireless (or Ethernet) overhead, IP overhead, and TCP overhead,
which can eat up several percent of the link's "raw" capacity :P

Unless you can know in advance exactly what kind of traffic the link
will be handling (which is rare but not impossible) it's all guesswork
anyway :D

David Smith
MVN.net