Martin is on his high horse again about Net Neutrality. Most of this stems from
the 2005 Madison River BS when they were
blocking VOIP and in Oct 2007 when Comcast was blocking BitTorrent. Both
parties have since then reached an agreement to work
together.

Martin some how thinks the FCC "principles" of NN are law and that he, (not the
FCC is, my own emphasis added) "ready,
willing and able," to prevent broadband internet service providers from
irrationally interfering with their subscribers'
internet access.
http://www.reuters.com/article/internetNews/idUSN2525077120080225

>From the article referenced by Larry ;
"FCC commissioners have said on several occasions that the Internet policy
statement is not enforceable, and the law is very
clear on that basic point," wrote Joe Waz, senior vice president of external
affairs for Comcast. "The policy statement is
not a set of rules. It doesn't have any binding effect. And the FCC has never
adopted rules in this area."

"The Supreme Court and Congress have made it clear that a federal agency like
the FCC can act either through rules or a
complaint processes," Ammori responded in a blog post. "It's astounding that a
company with an army of high-priced lawyers
would even try to dispute this, as it is a basic fact taught on day one of any
administrative law class."

But Congress has said otherwise when it comes to taking it from "policy" to
law. Two laws have since been killed.

1. The Internet Freedom and Nondiscrimination Act of 2006 would have prohibited
the use of admission control to determine
network traffic priority. The legislation was approved by the House Judiciary
committee but was never taken for vote,
therefore failed to become law.

2. The Communications Opportunity, Promotion and Enhancement Act of 2006 was
introduced in the US House of Representatives,
referencing the principles of the FCC and authorizing fines up to $750,000 for
infractions. It passed full House of
Representatives failed to become law when it was filibustered in the Senate.

The FCC IMO has not met their ancillary jurisdiction powers for what they feel
they can do to Comcast. This whole NN debate
has matters of opinion on both sides of the issue and should be debated openly
for public review and comment.

Internet access is one thing, how about email and websites maxing out their
limits? Am I as a host provider for these
services, not allowed to shut down an account for going over a mailbox limit,
or a website that goes over their bandwidth use
or storage allocation? I can and do shut down accounts for overages after
providing sufficient notices to the customer, as
per their AUP, TOS and billing agreements.

Does the FCC have jurisdiction over all the bit-content passing on the Internet
network or control of a providers management
of network resources?

Frank Muto
www.SecureEmailPlus.com