So, seeing the activity on this latest thread regarding Nanostations has peaked
my interest...so, to satisfy my own curiosity,  I decided to do some research
on Nanostations

(I'm making a lot of assumptions here, so please correct me if I'm wrong, as
I'm a relative newbie to this segment of the market)

Now, it seems to me that the Nanostation, although cheaper in price, due to
being limited to running CSMA/CA, does not do a good job in competing with the
Motorola Canopy / Trango / Alvarions of the world...people who buy those
products are paying for the extra R&D effort put into developing a more
"WISP-focused" solution than just "plain-ol" Wi-Fi

That said, getting into the world of Wi-Fi CPE - for anyone who is not running
a proprietary protocol, it seems that the current market leader is Tranzeo,
however, looking at their site, it seems that their "value-line" (SL2) product
still goes for about $130 and doesn't even have ½ the features of the
Nanostation and AirOS

If you're running Mikrotik in 802.11x (WiFi) mode, by the time you factor in
the cost of the card, antenna, enclosure, power supply, you're back at that
$150 / CPE level

With the Nanostation at $89.95, why would anyone deploying a 802.11x-based WISP
buy anything else?

-Charles

WiNOG Wireless Roadshows
Coming to a City Near You