++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
<insert witty tagline here>

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Cowan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "WISPA General List" <wireless@wispa.org>
Sent: Monday, July 21, 2008 4:06 PM
Subject: [WISPA] 3.650 Wimax in the field

> Customer 1- 8.4 mile NLOS location. blocked by heavy trees .  1.5MB
> download holding CPE in their hand on the ground!  Decided to test
> 5.8 at this location and @ 50' AGL the CPE got a link.  5.8 mounted
> on the same tower, same height as 3.650.  The 5.8 system could not
> pass data and could just barely maintain association.

I'm aware of the attenuation of trees on 5 ghz.   It's deadly serious :)

But the question I have is...  Exactly what EIRP at the acess point, and
what at the client?

Adjusting the MAC does not magically change the physics of how or why RF
does or does not get attenuated by trees or dirt or buildings, or whatever.
I realize you can improve signal propagation and decoding reliability with
OFDM, but it does not violate the law of RF and attenuation.

On hte other hand, if you build a good enough front end, you can use
extraordinary sensitivity to hear and decode the RF signals at very low
levels.  So, that all being said,  What was the EIRP at the AP and CPE end?

Does anyone here have solid information on the attentuation of 3.65 ghz t
hrough trees?   A random guess would put it between 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz, but
perahps wavelenth at that frequency is amenable to penetration of foliage -
lower than I would expect, perhaps?

In any case, your post reminds me that I doubt any of us are familiar with
3.65 ghz propagation and we need to get familiar...

Your posting and experience gives hope that it might be better than hoped
for, and that would be serendipity defined and if so, we should all be
grateful.   Anyway, the further information would certainly be helpful in
estimating actual performance, spectrum-wise..