This whole thing makes me wounder...

What about when it is spelled out to the user before they sign up?

I inform all users that we reserve the right to limit traffic, especially peer to peer traffic.  I also tell them that we do not support or recommend VoIP services.  They are welcome to try them, but our system was not designed for them and we will not promise if or how well they will work on our residential or light commercial circuits.

This is not hidden in a page of fine print.  It is spelled out, in person, before the install is done.  Every user on my network was informed of this.

What will it mean to me?

we Forrest W. Christian wrote:
I have said this over and over in various forums:   Throttling/shaping
on a per-application basis is not a good idea.   Bandwidth caps and
pay-per-bit are the correct way to handle bandwidth hogs.   The FCC
doesn't care how you limit, as long as you apply it equally to all
bandwidth types.

I believe the FCC's position is simple:  If you are a internet provider,
you have to carry all types of traffic indiscriminately.

The FCC is *not* going to prevent blockage of ports and other limiting
for legitimate network management reasons.   Preventing the use of
"bandwidth hog" applications to fix your broken price model and
resulting inadequate network is not going to be considered a valid
reason for blocking or limiting one service over another.

Responding to a virus attack, or preventing spam or similar are valid
reasons for performing at least temporary blocking.  But if your
blocking gets in the way of a legitimate application, you need to be
prepared to resolve any issues that come up.   All the FCC cares about
is that the ISP's don't get to prevent a legitimate application from
operating across their network.   A good example would be the widespread
port 25 blocking which occurs.   It doesn't prevent legitimate mail from
flowing (it is easy to configure around), but it does prevent spammers
from using a network to spew mail out to the world.

-forrest

Larry Yunker wrote:

It looks like the FCC now has the votes necessary to sanction Comcast for
its P2P throttling.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080725-hammer-drops-at-last-fcc-oppos
es-comcast-p2p-throttling.html

It's set to be vote on officially next Friday.  This is a disturbing
decision if it implies that ISPs will no longer be allowed to control P2P
traffic flow originating from their own customers on their own networks.

Regards,

Larry Yunker

Network Consultant

[EMAIL PROTECTED]