If the 10 % didn't know what their usage patterns were I probably
wouldn't implement this cap. I have a many that download between 3 - 10
GB per day. A couple that upload half that. One sells the blueray discs
he burns at the local plant site where he works. He's at 10GB plus
daily. Sure the "I didn't know" will come up and I'll deal with those,
but I either unload the customers or make money servicing them. 60%
don't go above 5 GB in  month and another 20% never hit 10GB. It's the
ones that regularly use 25-250 GB that I need to do something about. We
put our cap at 50GB for basic charges. That covers all but 5% of my
customers today.  We will be notifying customers when they hit half
their alloted bits in any given month. I don't expect 90% will ever see
a notification.

I don't necessarily agree with the premise that they don't know what's
going on. A few sure. But what percentage of customer have leaky lines
and get a big bill from the water company? And, because I see their
traffic regularly, I will know who's got an issue and notify them. When
was the last time a provider of any kind told you were going beyond your
normal usage? Water, electric, cell, anyone?

Dave

AM